Sunday, August 22, 2010

Bulky Camera Bags




A question came about that inspired me to write this next blog: What kind of camera bag do I use?


I usually use a messenger bag or a small back pack. I find them both, easy enough to get into and not bulky. Usually the only equipment I carry in them for the type of shooting I generally do is a flash setup and some other accessories like flash cards, batteries, pen & paper and of course business cards. When I am shooting for example an event, I have my camera or cameras around me ready to shoot with two different lenses attached and a bracket-flash if needed on one of the cameras.

Someone might ask, what about a monopod or tripod. For most shots I am able to handhold the camera or lean it up against something to get the shots I need. If I am shooting interiors, food photography or portraits it is different as using a tripod is a constant. If I was shooting with a minimum 300mm range lens, for example horse jumping, football, concerts from a distance, I would use a monopod as most of these professional events don’t allow tripods for safety reasons.

When I am shooting an event for example a wedding, it is key, to get those memorable shots. As a photographer you need to be ready and quick at all times. How would it be if a short distance away you see an amazing shot of the bride & groom caught in a moment, with an amazing reflection in the scene? Now you have to run back to get the lens that is in your camera bag. Or you’re not quick enough to run over to them to get the shot because of all the stuff you’re carrying. That moment is lost for a lifetime!

The pictures in this blog was one of those rare moments I used a monopod and it wasn’t mine because my monopod was in the car. It belonged to a photographer friend standing next to me. I grabbed his monopod and used it to get the attention of the cheerleaders.  I wanted them to look up to get these shots. My photographer friends next to me from the Miami Dolphins, Miami Herald and Sun-Sentinel appreciated it. I would have used my whistle, but unfortunately I somehow lost it.

Feel free to contact me with questions or to book your next event at info@micheleeve.com

No comments:

Post a Comment