Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Life of a Media Photographer - Tiger Woods





Well you remember in my last Blog I mentioned I always ask the person I am photographing for a picture, well this might be one of those exceptions, if it's Tiger Woods who has been M.I.A

It was a rainy windy cold day here in South Florida and I got an early morning call regarding Tiger Woods from the paper. Woods might be at his boat Privacy and I needed to go check it out. I was not happy about this. First thing I did was open the computer and find out where his boat is. Great, it is over an hour away. I packed up my camera and off I went. With my wind shield wipers on, I trekked up to North Palm Beach. I didn't realize there would be a guard gate so I tried my best but couldn't get in. If Tiger Woods was at his boat and I trekked up here in the rain I was not leaving without a picture of him.


I took a drive around the marina and parked my car pretty close by. I walked over to an area and noticed from a distance a gate around the marina. Holding an umbrella in one hand that kept blowing backwards from the wind, a bag with my camera in it in the other hand I walked thru a large field of shrubs. My pants getting quite wet from the rain, and cursing under my breath I was not giving up. I noticed my pants getting all the spiky thorns on it that feel like needles. I was getting quite frustrated, quite wet and concerned about the camera. At that moment I noticed the opening in the fence. I slipped thru to the marina and with the wind blowing, I held on to the fence to make it all the way around without falling in the water. I walked thru the open parking lot with a little bit of difficulty but talked my way through it.

In the distance I saw Tiger Woods boat Privacy. How did I know it was his boat, it was the only boat with the sign covered: 0. I saw the ladder was down but didn't see any people on the boat. There were people loading things on the boat near it but no luck. I waited around hoping to see a fancy car pull up or a big black SUV with dark windows, or possibly a car with a window crashed in from a golf club but no luck.

I walked around the Marina still holding the umbrella and pulled out my camera from the bag. I noticed all the Paparazzi in front of the boat in the water on little boats that they rented. It actually looked like they carpooled together. I thought to meet Tiger head on coming on or off the boat or out of a car but no luck.  However, I was successful in that I didn't give up and I did get a few shots of Tigers boat Privacy.  Heading out I walked straight out the main entrance and didn’t look back. Dried the droplets of water off my backup camera and headed back home.

1 comment:

  1. This post is a poignant reminder that freelance photography is not always glamorous. It's much easier when Tiger arrives at his appointed tee time.

    ReplyDelete